Mara has always been a child that does things when she's good and ready. Crawling, walking, jumping, etc. Apparently she's that way with potty training too. She knows how to do everything but just chooses not to. It's been frustrating, but I've decided that I'm going to back off. Just like everything else, she's going to do it when she's ready. She knows exactly what prizes she'll get when she succeeds, but I think we're starting to hinder the process rather than help. I know she'll still be getting some training at school, but at home it will only be when she wants to.
On the flip side, Mara decided this week that she's ready to go to sleep by herself. Ever since she was born, we would always cuddle to go to sleep. That continued on to cuddling and falling asleep on the couch beside us when she was older. Recently, we could tell that she wasn't able to get comfortable on the couch because she wouldn't lay still, so we would tell her that she had to lay still or she was going to her bed. That would usually get her to be quiet. Earlier this week, however, she told us she wanted to go to sleep in her own bed. It surprised us at first, but I would take her to her bed and then lay down beside her. Then, one night, she told me that I could go. She gave me a hug and a kiss and laid down while I covered her up, and she has been going to sleep on her own.
I think overcoming the sleeping hurdle has made me more relaxed on the whole potty training issue. Going to sleep on her own is a big thing, and we did it all without fussing and crying. Now maybe one of these days she'll just decide one day that she's done with pull ups. :)
1 comment:
It does happen. I promise. Must be a Haley gene. Cause Hannah was the same way.
Post a Comment