Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pretty Kitties

Last week at work, I heard about a big cat rescue place not too far from us called In-Sync Exotics, and I knew we had to go there soon. We went out there today, and it was definitely worth it.

They have lions, tigers, cougars, cheetahs, bobcats, and lynxes that have been rescued from people and other facilities. (If any animal that comes to them has a chance to survive in the wild, they'll refer them to another place to help rehab the animal.)

While we were there, we got to see a tiger and a lion receiving enrichment, which was a pumpkin that they play around with but they don't like eating them.

Before we set out to look at the cats, I saw that kids 12 and under could adopt (sponsor, really) any cat of their choosing. So, Mara set out looking for the cat she wanted to adopt. At first, I thought she was going to go with a young tiger named Aasha, but she changed her mind as soon as she saw a lion name Aurora. She was born just a couple of months after Mara was, and she and her brother, Aramis, were recently rescued by In-Sync Exotics. As soon as she decided on Aurora, it was hard to get Mara away from her cage, and she kept going back to her. Aurora seemed taken with Mara as well and kept following her around with her eyes.

We'll definitely be going back, and I think I'm going to see about taking our Girl Scout troop there as well.

Now on to the pictures of the beautiful cats. :)

One of the tigers

One of the tigers

Kazuri

Aasha & Smuggler

Aramis (based on how his mane goes down his stomach to his hind legs, he has some Barbary lion in him, which has been extinct almost 100 years)



Aurora (Mara's lion & Aramis' sister, also part Barbary lion)




One of the tigers Jack was interest in 

One of the tigers getting enrichment




Sheila (white lioness) & Kahn

Jazz or Shazam (Sheila's brothers were in the same cage, so I'm not sure which one this is.)


Jynxie getting her enrichment

One of the bobcats

No comments: