Friday, May 16, 2008

Follow Up

Today was my follow-up appointment, and it went well. We had to wait a little bit more than usual to see my doctor, but the appointment itself was fairly quick.

My doctor maintains that we lost the baby due to a chromosomal defect, such as Turner syndrome. I asked her if viral infection I had in late February when I was only 5 weeks along contributed to the miscarriage, but she said the ultrasounds showed no sign of that (no calcification, no bloating). She said if it was a chromosomal issue that it's only a one percent chance of it happening again.

We can't try to conceive another child for two cycles. I was really hoping she would say we only had to wait one, but I guess we have to wait a little longer because of how far along I was in the pregnancy. The good news is that my body quickly recovered, and it shouldn't be too long of a wait for those two cycles.

On a positive note, two of our best friends had their baby yesterday. She delivered about four weeks early, but everything was fine with the baby other than needing to regulate her body temperature a little after birth. I got to visit with them for a little bit before and after my doctor's appointment, and the baby is a doll. I know I've said it before, but congratulations again, Shari and David! :)

No comments: