Thursday, October 21, 2010

Baked Potato Soup

I know I've posted a couple of pictures of our baked potato soup over the last year or so, but I never shared the recipe. We've adapted our recipe from the Betty Crocker one here.

1 bag (32 ounces) frozen, southern-style diced hash brown potatoes (can be frozen or thawed)
1.5 Tbsp onion flakes
1 tsp of celery seeds
4 tsp chicken bullion
5 cups water
3 Tbsp flour
1 cup milk
1 bag (8 oz) shredded cheese (we prefer Colby jack)
Bacon pieces (we buy the big Hormel bag from Sam's)

In a slow cooker, mix potatoes, onion flakes, and celery seeds. Mix bullion and water and pour over potatoes and mix. Cover and cook on Low heat setting for 6-8 hours.

In a small bowl, mix flour into milk. Stir in potato mixture and increase heat to High. Cover and cook 20-30 minutes or until mixture thickens. Stir in cheese and until melted. Add additional seasonings to taste and some bacon to mixture if desired.

Spoon into bowls. (Bread bowls work great with this soup!) Top with additional cheese and bacon pieces.

No comments: