I really wanted to try to nurse Jack, and I have been doing it for 16 days now. However, I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to continue.
At Jack's doctor's appointment yesterday, I found out that he hasn't really gained any weight since we went in for a weight check on March 15. At that weight check, he was 6 pounds, 14.4 ounces, and he was only 6 pounds, 15 ounces yesterday. I do question how accurate the weight was since all of his previous weights have been taking with digital scales, and they use a manual one (where the nurse moves the slider) at the doctor's office. I'm not supposed to worry about it too much since he hasn't lost weight, and we have to go back next Wednesday for another weight check at the doctor's office. At that time, we'll talk about supplementing with formula if he hasn't gained as much as the doctor wants him to.
In the meantime, I'm supposed to try feeding him more as well as pumping so we can supplement with breast milk. It just seems like I'm having to tend to Jack almost constantly, and Mara's suffering. I don't know how much longer I can continue doing this since the whole nursing thing isn't coming as smoothly as I would like. Plus, I don't like the idea that my son is basically starving, which is why he almost constantly has to be held to sleep and nurses so often and means I don't get much sleep. I'm also supposed to be sleeping when he does during the day to try to help my supply. It just seems like it would be so much easier if I just switched to pumping only and supplementing with formula like we did with Mara. At least I've kept him solely on breast milk three times longer than I did with Mara. (I only lasted until day five when we started having to supplement formula with her.)
I'm going to try to stick it out this week, though. I might just be feeling defeated since I got bad news at the doctor's office and it's just been a very busy week for us with Mara's birthday and all.
No comments:
Post a Comment