Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Shortcakes (the strawberry kind)

Every spring during strawberry season, I break out the Bisquick box and make shortcakes.

If we have them on hand, before I even start making the shortcakes, I'll slice up some strawberries, top them with sugar, and let them sit and juice up. You can then top the shortcakes with the strawberries and juice, and add milk or whip cream. However, most of the time, we just grab a half gallon of Blue Bell Strawberries and Homemade Vanilla. Put that on top of warm shortcake, and mmm...heaven.

Just in case Bisquick ever stops putting out their shortcake recipe, I thought it would be good to document it here. So, without further ado, here is the recipe straight from the side of the Bisquick box.

Shortcakes
2 1/3 cups Original Bisquick mix
1/2 cup milk
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Heat oven to 425°F. In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk, 3 tablespoons sugar and the butter until soft dough forms. On ungreased cookie sheet, drop dough by 6 spoonfuls (sometimes we do more and just make smaller shortcakes). Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Split warm shortcakes; fill and top with strawberries and whipped cream, milk, and/or ice cream.

And these are the shortcakes that John and I make. They're kind of like a drop biscuit.


However, growing up my mom made more of a cake. The recipe was also on the Bisquick box for years, but they eventually removed it. I think I finally found her recipe.

Loaf Cake and Cupcakes

2 cups Bisquick
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup top milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 tsp. vanilla



Combine Bisquick and sugar. Add top milk, well beaten eggs, melted butter, and vanilla. Beat to smooth up batter. Pour quickly into greased and floured 8 inch square pan (my mom used a round pan), or muffin cups. Bake cake 30 minutes, or cupcakes 20 minutes in a moderately hot oven 400°F.

No comments: