Remember the 10. That's being said a lot this week especially in the OSU community and on this day. But to us, it will always be the 10 plus 2.
I've talked about that awful week on this blog before and even wrote down a lot of the details here. It's still hard when the end of January rolls around each year. However, I agree with something I either heard or read this week. The tears and sadness that hits us right now isn't because we're still grieving for those we've lost. They wouldn't want it that way. It's because this time of year always brings back the raw emotions and feelings of that week 10 years ago and in some ways makes us relive it all over again.
I think about what it was like to work in the OSU Athletic Media Relations office. All of the late nights and games. I haven't been back to Gallagher-Iba Arena since the Bedlam game in March 2000. That was the last game played in the "old" arena. I'm glad that those who were lost got to experience the new one. I also think about where we were when we found out—just entering the Will Rogers Turnpike on the way to Aunt Jennie's funeral.
I wish we had spent more time with John's grandparents while we were in Stillwater. I think we spent more time with John's grandma after we moved down to Texas than in the two years we lived on the same street, just separated by a couple of miles.
To me, this time of year isn't just about those we lost that week. It also makes me think of others we have lost in the last 10 years—my grandma, my mom, John's grandma, and John's other grandpa. I look at it as more of a time of reflection and not sadness even though there might be a few tears shed as I remember what it felt like to lose these people.
Here are some news stories and videos that have been published this last week that have really touched me. Some may look familiar because I've shared them on Facebook.
- Remembering the 2001 OSU Plane Crash
- A father's presence never forgotten (a story about my former boss and mentor)
- 'Remember the 10' halftime ceremony
- We Will Remember: The 10th anniversary of the OSU plane crash
No comments:
Post a Comment