Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Weight Follow-Up

We received good news at the doctor today: Jack gained weight. And boy did he gain! He is now 8 pounds, 6 ounces, which is 1 pound, 4 ounces (20 ounces) more than he was last Wednesday, and it's almost a pound more than he was when he was born. So, we're supposed to continue what we've been doing, which is giving him formula and breast milk, and we don't have to go back until his two-month appointment in four weeks.

He is definitely much happier. He was laying on the table making a bunch of noises while we waited for the doctor to come in. While we were talking to her, Jack started fussing because he was starting to get hungry. The doctor even noted that it wasn't the starving cry that he had last week. It was just one to let us know that we should feed him soon.

After our appointment last week, I decided to start pumping and quit nursing. It made things a little easier since we were giving him a bottle anyway, and it allowed us to know exactly how much he was getting at each feeding. It's basically what I did with Mara for the first month, but I stopped pumping around the time she turned four weeks/one month because I just wasn't getting much. I'm already past four weeks with Jack, and hopefully I'll be able to pump at least a couple more weeks. However, I won't feel too bad if I don't last much longer, though, because I know that he is thriving on the formula.

As a bonus, the office received some samples of the Good Start formula (what we're using) right before we were leaving, and they were trying to figure out what to do with it. I mentioned that it was funny they just got some in since the doctor was looking for some last week to give to Jack while we were there. (They didn't have any at that time.) They ended up giving us one of the cases of regular-sized cans since there aren't as many people who use that formula compared to Enfamil and Similac.

No comments: