Friday, July 10, 2009

It's about time

I mentioned a while back that my department at work was going through some restructuring. I had a feeling I knew what the end result would be and people had even hinted at it, and today I was finally given the news.

First of all, I am now going to be working in the Information Development Department (a fancy name for communications/documentation). On top of that, I will no longer be manager of the department. Instead, I will be "Senior Content Developer." And actually, I'm pretty happy with this move. I was never truly a manager because I still had to do too much of my old job as writer since we were always understaffed. And when I really thought about it, what I really enjoyed doing was writing, and that's what I'm going to get back to doing full time. It will also be nice not to have to mess with all of the junk you have to put up with being a manager. The downside is that I will have to give up my office even though the people who will be taking it over are only contract workers who are managing our department temporarily. That's OK, though. It just means that I'll be closer to my coworkers. The nice thing is that even though I'm no longer technically a manager, my pay stays the same and I even stay on the managers' bonus plan for this year at least.

Going back to timing, though, it looks like everything is working out considering that I just found out I was pregnant last weekend. I did wonder how well it would work if I was a manager and took 12 weeks off for maternity leave. Now, I don't have to worry about that. I discovered with my two pregnancies last year that the timing of either one of them actually wouldn't be too great just because of what was going on at work. But now, it seems like it's finally a good time. I just pray that we'll get to meet this baby in March 2010.

So, I guess I'm actually pretty happy with this change. It will probably take some getting used to again, but I don't think it will be too long since I'm basically already doing that job now.

No comments: