I hate to admit it, but we've only been to church once in the past two years, and that wasn't even to our own church. The Sunday after my mom died, we attended FUMCR with the rest of my family, but the last time we went to a service at our church was for Mara's baptism in December 2005. We have been to Sunday school many times since then but even that tapered off. The last time we even attended a class was back in July the Sunday before my mom died. Don't get me wrong, though. I really like our church and the people there, but for some reason recently, I haven't felt the desire to go to church and I don't really know why.
One of the reasons we got out of the habit of going to church and Sunday school is because John usually works most weekends. And with his schedule, he is usually leaving for work or taking his lunch around the time we would be going to or at church and Sunday school. So instead, I chose to spend Sunday mornings with my family. The thing is, though, John has had a lot of weekend days off this month, and we still haven't managed to make it. I always come up with some sort of excuse – Mara got to bed late, I'm stressed out at work, I have too much to do, we have plans for Sunday afternoon, etc.
I know that by not attending I'm not getting the whole worship and Christian fellowship experience, but honestly, I don't know how much of that I was getting before. I don't think it's a matter of the church itself – it's us. But not "us" as in we're questioning God or anything. We still pray and know that God will take care of us, but it seems like we were just going through the motions with church.
Maybe it is good that we take this break. I know it's not the first time I've done it, and one of these days we'll be ready to get actively involved in our church again.
1 comment:
Yup. I or more to the point, Rick) can really identify with that. It will come back in time. Just a season to go through.
Post a Comment