Friday, November 18, 2011

November 17, 2011

This will be yet another date ingrained in the hearts of the members of the Oklahoma State athletic department. It goes right up there with January 27, 2001.

Yesterday afternoon, there was another plane crash carrying part of the OSU basketball family. This time, it involved the women's basketball coach, Kurt Budke, assistant coach Miranda Serna, and former state Senator Olin Branstetter and his wife, Paula. They were on their way to some high school basketball games in Little Rock for a recruiting trip. They never made it.

While this doesn't hit as close to home as the other plane crash just because I didn't personally know anyone on board this flight, it still hurts. It's heart-wrenching to see the OSU community go through this again, just 10 years and 10 months since we lost the 10 members of the men's basketball program. At the same time, it's amazing to see how the same community rallies around each other and the family of those lost to offer comfort and support.



Favorite quotation from Miranda Serna's Facebook page: "When I stand before God at the end of my life, I hope that I have not a single bit of talent left and could say to him, "Dear Lord – I used everything you gave me and thank you for all you entrusting in me!"

No comments: