Sunday, April 6, 2008

11-week appointment

I went in Friday for my 11-week appointment, and it went well.

We started off the appointment by talking to my doctor in her office. We went over family history and our plans for delivery and such. Then, before she started my actual exam, she told me that one way or another, we were going to hear the baby's heartbeat that day. Well, after two tries of trying to find the heartbeat with the doppler, she sent me in for a quick ultrasound. (It's nice they have it right there in the office.) The ultrasound technician had no problem finding the baby, who was measuring 11 weeks, 3 days (I was only 11 weeks, 1 day). She also said the baby's had a heart rate of 168 beats per minute. Some say that heart rate indicates the baby is a girl, but my doctor said she's seen that to be only about 50% accurate. :)

It was nice to be able to see the baby again. I was going to ask my doctor if I could have another ultrasound if she couldn't find the heartbeat just because of my prior issues this pregnancy, but I didn't have to worry about it.

Now, I don't go back until the first week of May. Then, my next appointment should be the one where we find out the gender of this baby. I can't believe that I'm almost out of the first trimester and that we're only 8-9 weeks away from finding out if the baby is a boy or a girl.

I'll leave you with the latest picture of our baby. In case you can't tell, that's the baby's head and body, and a hand is up next to the face in the middle picture.


ETA: I found this website that shows the development of an 11-week fetus. It might help you make sense of what is shown in the pictures. :)

No comments: